- About a decade and a half ago, where early adopters of digital marketing and communication were younger, it had been quite a challenge for introducing websites, email marketing to the CXO grade and for quite some time social media savvy marketers had a tough time moving business leadership into the sweet spot between “we don’t think it will work” to “fantastic, lets shift all budgets to digital and decide in 6months if it is worth it”. The proof is 61% of Fortune 500 CEOs have zero social media presence till early 2016. However times are changing, the rise of social media as a platform for business visionaries like in case of LinkedIn’s “Influencer” status draws top experience into content creation and social media has matured amongst this audience into the performance led strategic tool it is.
- “Real sales, Real service” seems to be the motto of social media marketing nowadays- posting off your company brochure and website, or replying with a robotic “Thanks for your feedback- please visit our offices” is not enough. Enhanced content serving algorithms, Precision targeting in delivery and evolved reporting insights available for all social portals like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram have created a reliable and extremely measurable sales infrastructure. On the other hand, managing efficient service has been made easier and the customer experience has never been one more transparent and instantaneous. The availability of automated messaging bots is now set to further maximize this positive experience.
- Despite the empowerment o social media as a tool, there is still a huge gap in the available and required skills in terms of how businesses manage the discipline. The overall understanding of the business end of the social media marketing space along with the actual technical/strategic acumen in internal teams is still quite low. This gap is the playing field for the content/ social media marketing agencies that corporate are striving hard to train internal teams to absorb.
- Better metrics have finally changed the social media landscape into practical business and marketing goal alignment. No more are we trying to collect Facebook fans as a mark of efficiency on social and high number of impressions on adverts have given way to clear costs per acquisition.
- Community development has come to the centre stage of how good social media marketing is executed, with three categories of community members- employees, customers and enthusiasts. Traditionally brands have wanted to cater primarily to customers and turn them into brand evangelists via social media, while also exciting a larger club of followers who have a passion for the particular industry or business. The surge now however is of internal customers – employees becoming brand spokespersons that spread positive word and enhance the brand resonance beyond marketing and advertising spends.
Hope you liked reading through! We will be back tomorrow evening with part 2/3 of "Social Blueprint" and talk about the art and science that is social media.